Thursday 10 May 2012

Most Memorable Roamings From a 26 Year-Old Nomad

Last week, I "celebrated" my 27th birthday. For as long as I can remember, I have used my birthday as an opportunity for new beginnings. Around this time each year, I usually take a few hours (and sometimes a full day) to look through my personal journal to reflect on all that I have accomplished during the past year. I also compile a list of about 100 things/goals that I would like to do in the upcoming year (many revolving around travel). I do it solely for me, but as a first time blogger, I thought I would share some of my favorite travel memories from my 26th year for my first solo entry............

My Top 26 Travel Moments

1. Finally backpacking Scandinavia (Iceland, Denmark, Russia, Finland, Estonia, Sweden, and Norway), after planning it for three years.
2. Visiting the Blue Lagoon in Iceland, a landmark that I always found so exotic.
3. Attending the 2nd International Harp Competition in St. Petersburg, Russia (as a spectator).
4. Travelling to New Orleans to build a house with Habitat for Humanity's Global Village Program (on my life list since the age of 13).
5. Surfing in Tofino, British Columbia, one of the most beautiful places I have ever been.
6. Spending the day at the Nobel Peace Museum in Oslo, Norway. They had a really cool exhibit on "Refugees in Transit."
7. Boarding a cruise ship in Tallinn, Estonia, and spending the night on it, on my way to Stockholm, Sweden (Never thought that I would be a cruise person).
8. Going out for drinks and dancing on Bourbon Street in New Orleans (what I envision hell will be like, but oh, so much fun!).
9. Hiking up a mountain in Lapland, Finland at midnight to see the Northern Lights (amazing!), and enjoying a hot chocolate around a warm campfire in a wooden teepee afterwards.
10. Watching the Russian Ballet Company perform "The Nutcracker" at the Hermitage Theatre in St. Petersburg.
11. Being an art nerd for a day at the Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg.
12. Going to Maine and New Hampshire with my Mom and sisters on our 3rd annual States shopping spree.
13. Getting all fired up on a "Runtur" (Friday night Icelandic pubcrawl) in Reykjavik with fellow hostel friends.
14. Exploring Copenhagen by bicycle.
15. Exploring the canals and hippie community of Christianshavn in Copenhagen, Denmark.
16. Climbing the 418 steps of Aksla in Norway to view the whole of Alesund and the surrounding islands.
17. Going to the Uimahali Swimming Hall, a traditional Finnish Sauna (I am obviously not as liberal or comfortable with nudity as the locals were).
18. Visiting the Oak Alley and Laura Plantations in Louisiana.
19. Travelling by bus from Alesund to Bergen, Norway (the breathtaking scenery is something out of fairy tales).
20. City night tour of New Orleans where we got to see the effects of Hurricane Katrina.
21. Walking down Frenchmen Street in New Orleans listening to some great jazz.
22. Visiting Chinatown in Victoria, BC.
23. Exploring the canals and sights in St. Petersburg, Russia.
24. Exploring the Old Town in Tallinn, Estonia.
25. Discovering yummy cardamom treats in the cafes in Gamla Stan, Sweden.
26. Discovering "Tante T's Tearoom" in Copenhagen.
Nature painting a rainbow over Alesund, Norway.

My Russian soul mate (he obviously loves ombre as much as I do)!


Getting lost (again!) in Copenhagen.

Homemade street signs in New Orleans. The locals wanted to feel a sense of normalcy after Hurricane Katrina.

I thought this church was amazing, and looked like something from outer space.

Made really yummy vegan carrot cake.

Estonian lady was very enthusiastic about taking my picture.

Changing of the guards in Stockholm, Sweden.

Midnight campfire after expedition to see the Northern Lights in Finland.

Haunting image of a refugee at the Nobel Peace Museum in Oslo.

My kind of humour in Iceland!

Creepy baby statue at a sculpture park in Norway.

Typical of Frenchmen Street.

Best 2 man band ever in Iceland.

Hostel friends pre-drinking for a Friday night runtur in Reykjavik.

No comments:

Post a Comment